How to keep your trainers fresh and clean
When was the last time you gave your trainers a good clean?
We know that finding the best way to clean your favourite trainers can be a real task. So, we’ve put together a few simple and inexpensive cleaning tips that will leave your trainers looking and smelling great!
Using the washing machine
Even though it is a quick and easy solution, it is important to check the care label on your trainers or the manufacturer’s instructions before simply throwing your trainers into the washing machine.
Once you have made all the necessary checks, follow these 5 simple steps:
- Remove the laces from your trainers and use a soft brush to clean off any excess dirt or mud.
- Before starting the wash, place the trainers and the laces into a mesh laundry bag.
- Throw in a few old towels into the wash at the same time, as this will reduce the noise of the trainers in the drum.
- It is recommended that you wash your trainers on a colder temperature (around 30 degrees), as this will prevent colours fading.
- When the wash is finished, leave your trainers to air dry at room temperature.
Hand – washing
If your trainers are not suitable for machine washing or you’d simply prefer to be more hands on, cleaning your trainers can still be quick and easy!
There’s no need to rush out and buy an expensive trainer cleaning solution, simply follow these 8 easy steps:
- Remove any initial dirt with a soft-bristled brush, or simply an old toothbrush.
- Make a mild cleaning solution using warm water and a few drops of laundry detergent.
- Remove the laces and wash them in the bowl of soapy water.
- Leave the laces flat to air dry.
- Using the brush and soapy water, tackle the soles of the trainer first.
- Use a fresh batch of water to clean the rest of the trainer.
- Once rinsed off, use a microfibre cloth to lift any remaining detergent or dirt.
- Leave your trainers to air dry at room temperature.
Deodorise with Baking Soda
So, cleaning your trainers can be simple, but what about keeping them smelling fresh?
Baking soda is a natural deodoriser and it also helps to kill bacteria!
Try this great natural alternative to deodorising spray:
- Mix two tablespoons of baking powder and a few drops of essential oils (such as lavender, tea tree or citrus).
- The oils are not required, but they will help to replace the odours with a fresh, natural smell.
- Sprinkle the solution into the trainers.
- Leave the baking soda for a few hours or overnight. The longer you leave it, the longer the baking soda will have to absorb the odours.
- Shake out the baking soda and enjoy your fresh trainers!
If you want to avoid the mess of placing the baking soda directly into your trainers. You can make sachets instead, by placing the baking soda into a small piece of cloth and tying with a string or elastic band. Place this into your trainers every night to keep them smelling fresh!